Tougaloo College commonly recruits diverse students in athletics internationally. The college does not have a history of DEI-focused initiatives. This project builds a foundation of exploration of DEI.
The purpose of this study is to understand how college recruiters describe Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion recruitment practices to support students' academic needs using the EAB model once enrolled at Tougaloo College.
Two college recruiters were interviewed for the study. Lessons learned include:
1. Recruiters focus more on increasing enrollment numbers than supporting students' academic success.
2. Tutors are provided, but the institution does not provide a specific area lab to enhance student learning such as a Math Lab, Writing Lab, Science Lab, etc.
3. The student tutors are trained on how to convey the teaching to better help the learner understand.
4. Tutors are not available in all subject areas.
5. Faculty are not available to tutor as much as they need to enhance academic skills.
6. There are limited funds to bring in a more diverse population from outside the U.S.