To identify factors that contribute to differences in performance among student populations, the IR department will arrange focus groups and oversee longitudinal analysis and outcome mapping. Data collected will include course completion, productive grade rate, semester to semester persistence rate.
As part of the Aspen Foundation "Unlocking Opportunities" project which emphasizes post completion success, this effort to increase persistence and completion among minoritized and special populations becomes paramount. Our goal has become more than persistence and completion, but ensuring the students who earn these credentials will enter careers with family sustainable wages.
Lessons learned during implementation of this project include:
- Prepare for leadership changes.
- Follow state legislation developments.
- Avoid top-down approaches.
- Address institutional culture.
- Be prepared for systemic impediments.
- Be sure project flows into other initiatives.
- Communicate across all divisions.